Study permit

The study permit allows foreign students to continue their training within Quebec's renowned education system.

Come study in Canada

Come study in Canada

Temporary immigration for studies is a competence (jurisdiction) shared between two levels of government: the Government of Canada (federal) and the Gouvernement du Québec (provincial).

 As such, the immigration application takes place at two successive levels:

  • First, in Quebec, with a favourable temporary selection decision issued by the Ministère de l’Immigration, de la Francisation et de l’Intégration (MIFI) leading to the issuance of a Quebec Acceptance Certificate (CAQ);
  • Next, a study permit and a visa (if applicable) are obtained from the Government of Canada (with medical exams if necessary and the collection of biometric data).


If you want to pursue your studies in Québec or register in a program of over 6 months, you must follow several steps in order to obtain the necessary authorizations to study.


Note: If you plan to pursue short-term studies (program of study of 6 months or less) in Canada, you will not need to obtain a study permit and, consequently, you will not need to obtain a CAQ for your studies.

Step 1: Choose an educational institution

Consult the list of institutions in the Québec City region according to the level of studies:


Only after having been formally accepted by one of these Designated Learning Institutions (DLI) in a program of study will you be able to begin the immigration process.

Here is the complete list of DLIs on the official Canadian immigration site (IRCC).


Step 2: Obtain your Québec Acceptance Certificates (CAQ)

After receiving your letter of admission, you must submit a Quebec Acceptance Certificate (CAQ) application for your studies to the Ministère de l’Immigration, de la Francisation et de l’Intégration (MIFI).

In addition to the letter of admission to a Designated Learning Institution and a valid passport, the approval of your temporary selection application depends on certain criteria; in particular, you will need to prove your financial capacity to cover all your tuition fees (based on the estimate), transportation costs (round trip from your country of origin), and settlement and living expenses for your first year of studies.

For example, in 2020, the sum of these expenses comes to nearly 13,000 CAD for a single person aged 18 and over.


Find out more:

Step 3: Obtain your study permit

Following a favourable decision on your temporary selection (CAQ) application by the MIFI, you must submit a study permit application to the Government of Canada.


You can submit your application online or on paper. If you need help completing your application, you can use the services of your closest Visa Application Centre (VAC).

Please note that you are not required to go through an intermediary to complete your application.


If professional experience is an essential component of your program of studies, you can apply for a work permit for interns or co-op students.


Find out more:

Complementary Information

Are you planning to be accompanied by your spouse? Click here.


Are you planning to be accompanied by your children? Click here.

Biometric data collection 

As of summer 2018, you may also be asked to provide your biometric data (fingerprints and photo, etc.) to federal authorities. Click here if this worries you.

You want to work during your studies

Study permit holders who are registered in a full-time vocational, technical, or university education program in a Designated Learning Institution are:


Warning: To be able to work in Canada, you must obtain a social insurance number from Service Canada.


Find out more:

You want to work after your studies

If you have completed a full-time program of study of at least 8 months and graduated from a Designated Learning Institution (DLI), you have the option of submitting a post-graduation work permit application (PGWP). This open work permit allows you to work for an employer of your choice anywhere in Canada.


Like the study permit, it is possible to attach your spouse or common-law partner to your post-graduation permit application. The spouse or common-law partner can then apply for an open work permit that will be valid until the expiry of the post-graduation permit it is attached to.


Find out more:


Watch this video from our partner, BB Immigration, law firms specializing in immigration:

You want to settle in Québec permanently

You may also consider permanent resident status.