Work permits or visas for businesspeople

Businesspeople who travel to Canada must first obtain a permit in accordance with their status.

Free trade agreements

Businesspeople are individuals who travel to Canada under the following free trade agreements:

  • North American Free Trade Agreement (NAFTA).
  • Other free trade agreements.
  • General Agreement on Trade in Services (GATS).

The following examples of categories may fall within the scope of the above agreements:

  • Business visitors.
  • Professionals.
  • Individuals transferred within a company.
  • Investors, etc.

Individuals in any of the above categories receive a job offer waiver and are usually exempted from the CAQ requirement.

Please note: The terms "businesspeople" and "business visitors" should not be confused. Business visitors are in a different category and the requirements they must comply with are not the same. As a general rule, business visitors do not need a work permit.

For further information


Please do not confuse obtaining a work permit in the businessperson category with the possibility of submitting an immigration application in the businessperson category.