Temporary resident visas and status

There are two types of visas: regular visas and temporary resident visas (TRV). Each type has specific features.

Regular visas

A regular visa is required for all nationals of countries that have not signed an agreement with Canada. This visa allows holders to enter Canada. Once they have entered Canada, visa holders may reside in the country for up to six months, unless the Canada Border Services agent indicates a different deadline. It should be noted that a visa with a duration of more than six months stamped in a passport does not mean that the holder can remain country for the entire duration; it is not a temporary resident visa.

Temporary resident visas (TRV)

A TRV enables any individuals who obtain a temporary work permit or study permit to maintain their temporary resident status included in the permit upon arrival in Canada. Consequently, if they lose their job or have to interrupt their studies, they do not lose their temporary resident status and may remain in Canada until their work permit or study permit expires.

In addition, if an individual’s work permit expires but the individual for some reason is unable to leave Canada, they are required to submit a TRV extension application. If they fail to do so, the individual has 90 days to submit an application to reinstate their status.

Countries and territories whose citizens require visas in order to enter Canada as visitors