Becoming a permanent resident

To become a permanent resident and settle in Canada on a long-term basis, more specifically in Quebec, you will first need to obtain a Quebec selection certificate (certificat de sélection du Québec/CSQ) issued by the Ministry of Immigration, Diversity and Inclusion, followed by a Canadian permanent resident visa issued by Citizenship and Immigration Canada.

Two programs provide access to permanent resident status: the regular program and the Quebec Experience program (Programme de l’expérience québécoise/PEQ). If you are eligible for the PEQ, you are strongly advised to apply under this program since it takes less time and you have to provide fewer documents.

Effective March 21, 2012, Quebec’s Ministry of Immigration, Diversity and Inclusion modified the application rules for immigrant selection. The field of training now plays a key role in the selection process and may even eliminate certain applicants. For further information.